Woo hoo! I’m so excited to be taking part in the celebration of the release of Ralene Burke’s debut Bellanok!
Today, I’m sharing an interview I had with Ralene about her latest release and unicorns, but let me introduce you to her book, Bellanok.
(Scroll down to the bottom of this post to check out all the other blogs taking part in the tour!)
A haven for myths and legends . . . until evil discovers a way in.
With evil darkening the mountains to the north, the fairy queen, Fauna, must journey from the island realm of Bellanok to the modern world to find the man the Creator appointed to save their kingdom. A man she has been dreaming of her whole life.
Brian is a down-on-his-luck pastor on the verge of giving up on God. He’s tired and frustrated–a failure. No sooner does he make a decision that jeopardizes his career than an unusual blonde woman shows up and tries to convince him he is some kind of savior.
Amazon — Goodreads
Interested in reading Bellanok? Head over to Ralene’s site to enter to win one of two paperback copies!
– Hi Ralene! So excited to be chatting with you today! What are you looking forward to most about Thanksgiving?
I am looking forward to the food! We’re not having any extra family in this year, so it’s my in-laws and my family. We always do it up right, though. Deep fried turkey and all the sides! Not to mention, pumpkin pie. 🙂
– That sounds so good! When did you first know you wanted to be a writer? Did you imagine wielding a freelance editor sword and social media wand alongside your fantasy writer’s pen?
I’ve always wanted to be a writer. It’s only on some adult advice that I tried to major in something else in college. So, I was in my mid-20s before I actually dove in.
I should have known editing would naturally follow though. I was newsletter editor for so many different things growing up: school, 4-H, creative writing magazine. It wasn’t until I needed to find a way to add to our household income that I started freelancing.
And social media was something I accidentally fell into. I had some people ask me to help with their social media because they liked what I was doing, so I gave it a try. Loved it. And now it’s part of my services!
– How cool! What’s your favorite treat to eat while writing or during writing breaks?
While I write, you’ll often find me snacking on gummy bears or dark chocolate M&Ms. I don’t snack too much though, because I would easily overdo it. If I do, it’ll be while I’m writing, because I’m usually cleaning or talking with the family on writing breaks.
– I love gummy bears. Definitely one of my favorite sweet snacks. You originally released Bellanok as a four-part serial online. How are you feeling knowing that your novel is now in paperback where readers can smell it before reading?
Relieved! I love physical books. They are tangible and memorable and . . . I’m just glad that I can offer that to my readers now as well!
– I love physical books, too! Always such a special feeling in being able to turn the pages of your favorite book. You and your characters are going on a lunch date. Yaye! Where do you decide to have lunch at? What do they order?
Brian and I would take Fauna and Roman for burgers and fries. Wait. Technically, Brian already did that. Okay, I’d want to introduce them to Italian food. We’d probably hit Olive Garden for the best breadsticks and pasta.
– Ooo Italian! That sounds delicious. If you had a unicorn, what would you name him or her? Would you ever try to ride him or her?
Well, I kind of think unicorns would come with their own names, so I wouldn’t actually name it. I know, that may sound weird. But I see them as intelligent, you know? If I did have to name one, it would probably be something that sounds ethereal, but nothing is coming to me at the moment.
And, oh yes, I’d be going for a ride!
– What a good point! Lastly, you’ve just got thrown into the world of Bellanok! What do you do? Who do you try to find to help you on this new journey?
Well, assuming you mean thrown into Bellanok during the time of the story, I would head for the Sacred Grove. That’s where the fairies live—and the queen—so I’d find help there.
Of course, that would be kind of a dangerous trek on my own. I’d risk being found by the demon or its minions. Hopefully I could flag down a dragon on patrol.
– Oh man! I hope so, too! I appreciate you stopping by today and letting me chat with you, Ralene.
Whether she’s wielding a fantasy writer’s pen, a freelance editor’s sword, or a social media wand, Ralene Burke always has her head in some dreamer’s world. And her goal is to make it SHINE! She has worked for a variety of groups, including Realm Makers, The Christian PEN, Kentucky Christian Writers Conference, and as an editor for several freelance clients. Her first novel, Bellanok, is available on Amazon!
When her head’s not in the publishing world, she is wife to a veteran and homeschooling mama to their three kids. Her Pinterest board would have you believe she is a master chef, excellent seamstress, and all around crafty diva. If she only had the time . . .
You can also find her on Facebook, Twitter, or at her website.
Blog Tour Schedule
Monday, Nov. 14: J.L. Mbewe — Fauna shares a little about Bellanok
Tuesday, Nov. 15: New Authors Fellowship — My Author Journey
Wednesday, Nov. 16: Bethany Kaczmarek — Interview
Thursday, Nov. 17: Michele Harper — Behind the Scenes post
Friday, Nov. 18: Speculative Faith — Why a Pastor?
Olivia Fisher — Interview
Monday, Nov. 21: Zachary Totah — Interview
Tuesday, Nov. 22: Heather Fitzgerald — Character Interview
Wednesday, Nov. 23: Laura Pol — Interview
Thursday, Nov. 24: Special Thanksgiving Post on my own blog!
Friday, Nov. 25: Lands Uncharted — Interview
Monday, Nov. 28: Serena Chase — Character Interview with Roman
Tuesday, Nov. 29: TBA!
Wednesday, Nov. 30: KM Carroll — Interview
Thursday, Dec. 1: Ralene Burke — Blog Tour Wrap-up